We all know that getting a good night’s sleep is important, but did you know that it could have such a profound impact on your health and wellbeing? In this article (and YouTube video), I share five ways that sleep can improve your life. From boosting your immune system to increased happiness, there are plenty of reasons to make sure you’re getting enough shut-eye!
Sleep is often overlooked. Most people don’t get enough sleep, but what they don’t know is that getting good quality sleep can improve your health and wellbeing exponentially. There are several folks I know say they only need six hours a night of sleep to function. I’ve heard Arnold Schwarzenegger say that you shouldn’t go over six. Seven hours being his own personal max for years. Other successful individuals like Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Elon Musk, or Tim Cook often report getting less than six solid chunks throughout their lives—and let’s face it: these guys are extraordinary human beings. I need a full eight hours to function.
Getting a good night’s sleep is important for overall health and wellbeing. Unfortunately, most people may not realize just how impactful sleep can be. Here are five ways that sleep can improve your health and wellbeing:
- Sleep can help boost your immune system. When you sleep, your body produces more cytokines, which are proteins that help to fight infection. Therefore, getting enough sleep can help you ward off illnesses.
- Sleep can help improve your mental health. Lack of sleep has been linked to an increased risk of mood disorders such as depression and anxiety. Conversely, getting enough sleep can help you feel happier and more relaxed.
- Sleep strengthens your brain power. During sleep, your brain consolidates memories and produces new insights. Therefore, getting enough sleep can help you learn new information more effectively and remember information better.
- Sleep can help you look younger and feel more rested. When you don’t get enough sleep, it shows in your appearance; you may have dark circles under your eyes or a sallow complexion. Getting enough sleep can help you look well-rested and refreshed.
- Sleep can improve your physical health. Getting enough sleep is essential for maintaining a healthy weight, as it helps to regulate the hormones that control hunger and fullness. In addition, sleep deprivation has been linked to an increased risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and stroke. Therefore, getting enough sleep is crucial for maintaining good physical health.
Stay tuned for the next article (and video) for tips on building good sleep habits.